By Robb Hicken/ BBB’s chief storyteller
The call came from a 1-800 number. The person on the phone said they represented Customer First Merchant Support.
“[They] stated we were being over charged, at a corporate rate, and if I sent the information they would stop the over charging for us,” says Kelley Doogan, of Insight Consulting, in Boise. “They were asking me to send a statement from our credit card processing company.”
Customer First Merchant Support could not be found as a processing company. This appears to be a marketing call and is a ploy to get billing information, to make a sales pitch based on the current rates.
“I have received many sales calls, and I know credit card processing is a very competitive business, but no one has ever asked me to send them my statement,” says Doogan.
Whether you’re looking to make a switch or selecting one for the first time, choosing a merchant processor is a very important decision and can be vital to the overall success of your business. Better Business Bureau advises to be aware that this company is targeting the area.
To combat that, ask three simple questions:
- Do I do business with you (the credit card processing company)?
- Please, give me a phone number where I can contact you (other than the 1-800)?
- Did I contact your company for information or changes?
If the answer is no, (CLICK) hang up the phone.
To date, in 2012, BBB has received more than 1,700 complaints against credit card merchant and processing services.
Accepting a credit card gives customers options, whether it’s to charge a purchase and pay it off over time, or to use a debit card and not write a check. By offering your customer options, you are opening the doors for increased revenue.
- Ask around. Like with any important business decision, always make sure to get at least three estimates and check the business’ reputation on BBB Business Review. Ask other business leaders what service they use.
- Know where to turn. Make sure the merchant processing service has a solid support team. Can you contact them 24 hours a day? This is very important to business owners who are trying to process a card outside of the typical business hours. In any case, technical support is a must and is vital to your business’ success.
- Try them out. Don’t settle without a trial period. By making sure the merchant processing service you choose has a 100 percent money-back guarantee before selecting them, you can save yourself a lifetime of hassle. Do they keep every promise that they made to you?
- Make sure every penny you spend is necessary. If you have a question about a fee you were charged, ask! Staying competitive with other merchant services is the name of the game for theses processors so they will want to keep you happy.